The Theatre was also designed and has remained a community center. The founders intended it to be use for town council meetings, school graduations, and elegant dances in the auditorium or the upstairs ball room.
The Theater was opened in 1923 by a community group called the Takoma Theater Corporation led by the then Mayor of Takoma Park, MD. Their intention was to bring first-run feature films to one of Washington’s first suburbs. Two blocks from the old Takoma railroad station, it became one of the major locations for community and family activities, including the starting point for the annual Takoma Fourth of July parade, and weekly yo-yo contests.